There are a lot of beauty subscription boxes out there, but the two most popular are Birchbox and Glossybox.
I have been a subscriber to both Birchbox and Glossybox for a long time. Because of this, my friends often ask me which I like better or which they should sign up for: “Birchbox or Glossybox.” It’s a tough decision because I like them both for different reasons. For me, I can’t bring myself to quit one or the other because receiving both of them every month is like Christmas for beauty nerds. With beauty products wrapped in delightful tissue paper and ribbons, I can’t get enough.
Here’s the rundown
- A U.S.-based company, Birchbox was started in 2010 by a couple of real smart gals who knew how much ladies love samples. Their mission was change the beauty product purchasing experience, and in a lot of ways, they have. For $10/month, Birchbox sends you 4-5 small/travel-sized samples to your door. Birchbox also hosts an e-commerce site where you can purchase full-size versions of products right on their site, and they reward you with points for each purchase. After receiving 100 points (which really isn’t hard to get), you get $10 off in the Birchbox shop. Trust me, this perk comes in real handy.
Both services ask you to fill out a beauty profile to help ensure the samples you are receiving are appropriate for your skin type and tone, your hair profile and more. They ask questions about your style — are you classy, trendy, adventurous, etc. I rarely am in love with every single product that comes in my box, however, it’s always fun to try new things.
When it comes down to it, if you asked me to choose only one box, I would choose Glossybox. I’m repeatedly impressed by the value that I receive each month for just the $20 or so dollars I spend for that special delivery. For example, the August box that I received from Glossybox had five full-size samples and was valued at $84.99. Yes, every sample was full size (that’s not common, but I’ll take it). Oh, and I got a cute denim makeup bag as a bonus! On the other hand, my Birchbox had five samples as well, and was worth approximately $25. As you can see, you typically do get your money back for each box and then some, but Glossybox consistently delivers more value, in my opinion.
Ginger’s August Birchbox
2. It’s a 10 – Miracle Leave-in Product
3. Jasmine Seven – Fresh Feet Wipes
4. ModelCo – Party Proof Lipstick
5. TanTowel – Classic Formula Self-Tan Towelettes
Ginger’s August Glossybox
2. Novex – Brazilian Keratin Hair Care Treatment Cream
3. Jelly Pong Pong – Lip Blush
4. ModelCo – Eyeshadow Duo in Bronzed Goddess
5. Sue Devitt – Triple C-Weed Pressed Powder
Do you subscribe to any beauty boxes? If so, what’s your favorite?